Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cultural Values

Today was a joint session between trainees and homologues. In it we identified predominate values significant to our respective cultures, Malian or American. Here's a short list of both, in no particular order.

Malian:
-Group concensus: all decisions are made my input of family members, but then ultimately decided by the chief of the family. If people disagree, they talk about it until they are all of the same mind
-Greeting everyone you see
-Respect of elders
-Significance of social ceremonies, such as naming ceremonies, funerals, and weddings: village life stops and everyone attends
-Hospitality, welcoming of guests
-Respect of all religious beliefs
-Families and familial hierarchies
-Men and women have different roles
-Men are the chief of the families and villages
-Appropriate dress based on one's age, gender, and marital status
-Eating together from the same bowl reinforces familial love and reinforces the strength and unity of family

American:
-Independence, personal freedoms
-Success, being goal-oriented
-Creativity, innovation
-Democracy (participation, differing ideas)
-Opportunity
-Human and animal rights
-Arts, aesthetics, beauty, entertainment
-Convenience, comfort
-Directness/ being able to speak one's mind

This is just a short list of the cultural values that were mentioned, but I really liked the perspective that this brought to the group. We come from different backgrounds, and our cultures dictate how we act and percieve others' actions. As co-workers and neighbors my homologue and I will encounter situations that confuse, offend, or differ from each others' interpretations of the same thing. I learned today that not only is that okay, but it is to be expected. By understanding underlying cultural values and assumptions, we can then begin to understand the motivations and reasons for specific behaviors that we witness or encounter.

I thought this was a good place to start to reflect on my own ideals, values, and cultural forces that shape my own behaviors and opinions. I know that this list of American values by no means encompasses the great diversity that exists among us, but it's a good starting point. I encourage you all to take a few moments and reflect upon your upbringing, your passions, your dislikes, and your own values. Do they influence the way you behave? Do they perhaps dictate your perceptions of others' actions? I noticed that even as I participated in the activity this morning that I was disagreeing with my fellow American trainees. This is because we were all raised by different families in different places who place value on different things. I think it will help me to remember this as I become more immersed in the Malian culture, and particularly in a working relationship with my villagers and homologue. One of our cultural manual states (paraphrased), "Personal differences play as big or greater a role in cultural proceedings." It's a good lesson, no matter where you are and who you encounter. I leave for my site visit tomorrow morning. I'm excited and nervous. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment