Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Packing List


Dear Prospective PC Mali Trainees,

When I was getting ready to come to Mali, a few PCVs posted their packing lists to help us out. I really appreciated it, so I’m going to do the same. Please keep in mind that I’ve only been here for seven months (same for anyone else in The Kennedys stage). I’m learning about new stuff in Mali every day. Therefore, please revert to an older volunteer’s list whenever possible. I do not claim to have a great list, I can just pass on what I know from my own experience.

 If it looks like a lot, it’s because it is a lot! I probably (definitely, 100%) could have come with less. It’s all up to you and your level of comfort. You can pack a lot into the weight limit, but no one says you have to max it out! In fact, less is better. You’ll thank yourself when you’re not struggling to make it through the airports and first few months of living out of a suitcase.

I spent way too much money buying stuff that I thought was necessary to come here. Only some of it was. This might sound funny, but don’t forget that people live here. Pretty much anything you need can be found in country. That being said, feel free to judge my diva packing list:

Packing it All
·         Medium-sized rolling suitcase
·         Large duffel bag
·         Backpack (Gregory Jade 60 Pack- Women's)- I’m really glad I got this because it’s the perfect size for week-ish long trips. It’s decent-sized, but you can keep it on your lap (always preferable) when traveling on public transport, which is a plus.
I had a smaller backpack sent once I got here. It’s perfect for overnighters, day trips, or the market. My Gregory pack was too big for that stuff. It’s REI brand and it folds into itself to make a pouch. I use it all the time.

Clothes
·         1 Long dress (casual, cotton)
·         3 “going out” tops
·         2 long skirts casual
·         2 tank tops
·         2 pairs black stretchy yoga capris
·         1 black fleece zip-up
·         1 long sleeve tee
·         3 solid colored tshirts
·         1 bikini
·         1 baseball hat
·         4 bandanas
·         6 good bras
·         4 sports bras
·         2 pairs of socks
·         1 nice outfit good for meetings
·         Sleep shorts
·         Modest  pajamas
·         Cotton unders (22 pairs)
·         Rain coat
·         Skinny jeans, regular jeans
·         Earrings (4 pairs)
·         Leggings (2)
·         Belt
·         Purse
It seems like a lot of panties, I know, but let me explain. Washing your clothes by hand really shortens their life span. Also, I only have like, 6 or so on my shelf at a time. I do laundry often, so there’s no need to have them all out at once. Plus, it’s really nice to pull a “new” pair out of your suitcase every few months.

Shoes
·         Black TOMS
·         Running shoes
·         Chacos
·         Teva flip flops

Hygiene
·         4 toothbrushes
·         2 toothbrush covers
·         2 tubes of toothpaste
·         2 tubes apricot scrub face wash
·         Body lotion
·         Shampoo, conditioner
·         Brush, comb
·         Dr. Bronners
·         Razors (1 handle, 6 blades)
·         Makeup (eyeliner, mascara, small eye shadow)
·         Nail polish and remover (I always have more sent because the ladies love it!)
·         Good tweezers
·         1 good pair of nail clippers
·         Nail files
·         2 bottles hand sanitizers (I use this regularly and keep some in my purse, great for care packages)
·         Bobby pins (two packs)
·         Pony tail holders (two packs)
·         2 deodorants
·         1 pack baby wipes (great for care packages)
·         Safety pins, push pins
·         Hair cutting scissors
·         1 Diva Cup (AMAZING, I love it, seriously consider it if you don’t have one already)
·         2 loofahs

If you aren’t picky about brands, you can get most of the stuff you need from the PCMOs (Peace Corps Medical Officers). Ex: tweezers, nail clippers, floss, medicine (Ibuprofen, Benadryl, Tums, etc), tampons/pads/panty liners, condoms, bandaids, chapstick, sunblock, (SPF 30 is what they give you, but I asked and got SPF 70, so it’s possible), bugspray, baby powder, multi-vitamins. You need to bring your own shampoo/soap, etc, but that stuff is easy to find in country, so don’t bring more than three months’ worth.
-  
When I first got to Mali, I felt like I didn’t bring enough business casual clothes (and maybe clothes in general). I ended up having my mom send more plain tshirts, another long skirt, and some more tank tops. I didn’t bring any nice pants (dumb), and I attempted to find a pair of linen pants in DC in January the day we flew out. I don’t recommend it. Bring a pair of black pants that can double as pants you can wear to go out to a bar/club. Problem solved. Also, keep in mind that Peace Corps has a thing called “Dead Toubab” which is basically a pile of clothes free to a good home. There’s a pile in every transit house. I get a lot of stuff from there. Also, at every market there are piles of Salvation Army/Goodwill rejects out there for megacheap! All that to say, I got a long just fine with the few clothes I came with, but I did repeat outfits quite a few times. If you’re fine with that, then bring fewer clothes and more chocolate. Just set some clothes aside for your parents to send you once you arrive. If that’s not your thing, bring more upfront!

Kitchen
·         Good can opener
·         Vegetable peeler
·         20-30 Ziploc bags (various sizes)
·         Tupperware
·         Kitchen knife
·         Light-weight plastic cutting boards
·         Flipper (Spatula? I don’t know its scientific name)
·         2 Nalgene bottles (one wide neck, one skinny neck)
I’m really glad I brought Tupperware and Ziplocks. They just come in handy. Also you can tell people to send you things in Ziplock bags so you can save them for later. I use my big kitchen knife all the time, but that’s because I love to cook. You’ll know if this applies to you or not. Nearly all of this can be found in Bamako, so don’t fret over cooking stuff.

Food
·         Mixed dried fruit (as much as can fit)
·         Bars (cereal, nutrition, energy) (as many as can fit)
·         Chocolate, hard candies, gum (but beware, most gum melts here)
·         Powdered drink mixes (Kool-Aid, Gatorade)
·         Tea for comfort, tea for sweet tea (plus some for gifts)
·         Sauce packets (Knorr)
·         Oatmeal
·         Seeds for planting garden
·         BOOZE (airplane bottles)

So, I knew going into this that food was something I’d miss a lot. I brought a lot of snacks on the front end, like protein bars, trail mix, etc., because I anticipated sickness (and so should you). Also, the food is hard to get used to, so these helped on nights when I just couldn’t take any more rice and sauce. A note on booze: bring some airplane bottles if you want, they’re fun for mini celebrations (and also because the liquor here is god-awful. Seriously I think it takes years off your life). While you’re in Paris, may I remind you that it is ALL duty-free? Just sayin.

Miscellaneous
·         4 bungy cords
·         Camping towel
·         Regular towel (large and fluffy)
·         Leatherman
·         Benchmade knife
·         Camelbak (bladder and bag and cleaning brushes)
I hardly use it. If you use yours a lot in the US, then you might have a different situation.
·         Pens and pencils
·         Frisbee, cards, Uno
·         Photos
·         1 journal
·         3 Sharpies- 2 black/ 1 metallic
·         Calendar/planner
·         iHome
·         2 good books
·         Super glue
·         2 combination locks
·         Money belt
·         Tape—duct and scotch
·         sleeping sac
·         Bug Hut
·         3 pairs sunglasses (you can also find them here very easily)
·         Maryville College pennant
·         Pillow (plus cover and 2 cases)
·         5-8 gifts for family (pictures, small games)
·         Sewing kit
·         Earplugs (not spongy)
·         Credit/Debit cards/Driver’s License
·         Stamps (3 bks)
·         Small padded envelopes
·         Envelopes that seal with a sticker
·         USA map
·         2 pairs cleaning gloves
·         Sleeping pad
·         Extra passport photos
·         Cushioned bike seat
I'm really glad I brought this because I ride a lot and my ass gets sore. My mom sent me a bell and like that because it gets the attention of people/animals in my way and also alerts me to when my bike is being played with if I’m away from it, like at the market. Not necessary, but it makes people laugh, so that’s nice too.
·         Gardening/work gloves
I’m an ENV volunteer and I garden a lot, so the gloves that my Aunt Re sent are fantastic. You don’t need anything special. And you’ll get made fun of, but you won’t have blisters. Well, not too many.
          
Electronics
·         LED headlamp (2)
·         Sports watch
·         Solar charger (Solio Rocksta)
·         Voltage adapter (range input : 240V 50 hz, Europe power)
·         iPod (and 2 cords)
·         Batteries (rechargeable)
·         Battery charger
·         Camera
·         1 big memory card
My headlamps are indispensible, same goes for my camera and netbook. Originally I came without a computer, but I would advise against that. Yes, there are Peace Corps computers at all the houses and at our bureau and training center, but it’s much more convenient to have your own. Plus, I can do work at my site (like I’m doing now!) and just upload it when I come to town. Also, it’s great for watching movies and shows at site. I had my dad send an extra battery, which is great for extended time at site.

       I’m really glad I brought:
·         photos of home. Not just for me, but because I use them all the time when I’m trying to explain a certain aspect of American culture (ie: weddings). If you can find a calendar of American people/landscapes, I’d bring that too.
·         My solar charger: it’s how I charge my phone and iPod at site.
·         I’m also very happy that I brought my American pillow. The pillows here suck.
·         Earplugs. You’ve never heard donkeys bray or rain pour like this before.
·         A map of the USA and a map of the world (makes explanations easier more interesting)
·         My bug hut. So awesome for sleeping outside in hot season. Absolutely worth it.

I didn’t need to bring:
·         extra passport photos (apologies to my family for keeping them up until all hours of the night photocopying and trimming the 17 that I made last minute).
·         a sleeping bag. To be fair, I haven’t been though my first cold season, but I anticipate my Sleeping Sac, various pagnes (big pieces of fabric), and Peace Corps-issued blanket to be more than adequate.
·         a travel alarm clock. The cell phones you’ll buy when you get here have alarm functions.

Tell your friends and family NOT not to send:
·         Peanuts/peanut butter
·         Nutella
·         Vache Qui Rit cheese
·         bouillon


Since I’ve been here, I’ve had a French press and coffee sent. The French press was maybe overkill. I’m sure if I looked I probably would have found one in Bamako. But I love it and use it every day, and it makes me feel very pampered indeed, so that’s how I rationalize it. If you drink coffee in America, I would bring a single cup strainer or a French press or similar and make sure your friends and family know to send you ground coffee and filters if you need them. 

I happened to inherit a yoga mat since coming here which has been a godsend. I do my daily workouts on it. If you are a work-er out-er in the US, plan on making it a part of your routine here. I’m really glad I brought my running shoes and a few books on yoga. I wish I had brought an exercise band or two, or even some 5lb weights. I KNOW that sounds nuts but hindsight is 20/20 and I for sure could have reduced my baggage to get those ten pounds in there! We all have our priorities. If you feel like you’re going to use it, no matter how crazy you may feel, bring it. You know what you need to feel comfortable, which is why no two packing lists are the same.

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to send them my way! I’m a member of the October stage’s Facebook group and my email is chelseacbarker@gmail.com. Good luck packing, don’t stress, and enjoy America while you can! We’re all excited to meet you!

1 comment: