Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sending Me Things (A Hobby For You)

This post has been a long time coming, I realize. I know that several people have inquired as to what things I like, what they can send, and how to do so. Wait no more. My address is:

Chelsea Barker, PCV
Corps de la Paix
B.P. 227
Sikasso, Mali
West Africa

I have had good luck receiving packages and most letters. I think it takes about 98 cents to mail a regular letter. Packages are a little more expensive, depending on their heft, just so you're aware. Send at your own risk. I recommend using the USPS Flat Rate boxes. I think letters take about three weeks, and packages take anywhere from two to four weeks. I've compiled a list of things that I can always use, in case you feel like being generous:

  • Powdered drink mixes, especially Gatorade, but not Nescafe (I can get that here)
  • "Just Add Water" mixes, ex: pancakes, oatmeal(!), macaroni and cheese (just the cheese, because I can get noodles here)
  • Magazines, books
  • Granola bars, Clif Bars, dried fruit, snacks (but not peanuts or peanut butter- I get that here)
  • Pictures of random American things: the more mundane the better. It's good cultural exchange fodder.
  • Oreos, chocolate, M&Ms, Twizzlers, baked goods (<--- pay special attention to this line if you value our relationship)
  • CDs or thumb drives with TV shows, movies, or music
  • Nailpolish (I have three colors and the girls in my village love it! Just in case you are feeling frivolous)

There's nothing specific that I'm in need of at the moment. If you're thinking of sending off a package and want to know if there's something in particular you can send me, shoot me an email, Facebook message, or text (fastest method) and I'll let you know. This goes both ways: if you send me your address or a letter or any goodies, I will absolutely write to you. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

*EDIT*
After some thought, I realized that I have plenty of lotion, chapstick, sunblock, gum, toothpaste and toiletries in general, so don't waste your money on that. I also have plenty of clothes between my mom's awesome last package and the tailors here, so I am good there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment