Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ready or Not

... HERE I COME!!! The time is here, my friends. I cannot believe it. After years of wondering, waiting, hoping, imagining, today is the day. I fly out tonight for Paris, and I will be in Bamako in just a day later. I have met some amazing people here at Staging in DC. We're already so friendly. It's so nice to be around people who understand your motivations and believe in the organization and the importance of the work that Peace Corps does. I have lots to say (as always) but I will try to keep it concise, as my time is short because the buses taking us to the clinic are on their way.

1) I got to see some fantastic people while I was here in DC. THANK YOU to my dear friends Robbie, Chris and Nour for taking time out of your schedules to track me down in Georgetown and give me some last minute hugs. This meant the world to me. Also, thank you to Mike and Jan for taking me to a delicious dinner for my last night in DC. You guys topped off the entire day, and your generosity and kindness are unparalleled. Thank you for treating me like one of your own.

2) At staging yesterday, the DIRECTOR of the Peace Corps, Aaron Williams and the Ambassador of Mali were surprise guests! It was such a neat surprise. Both are incredibly intelligent men who thanked us for our service. It was the first time in years that both people came to a staging. It's obviously really rare for that to happen, so it was neat. I asked Director Williams about the recent 20/20 piece regarding female sexual assault. He gave a good answer, and we were able to talk about it some more before we ajourned for the day. Cool experience.

3) I had a great last night in a warm, big, comfy bed with multiple pillows. The hot shower this morning was divine. On a walk this morning I actually stopped and stared at some snow. I think I shall miss it.

That's about all I have for now. I will have my phone until about 10 tonight when I depart, so if you want to say goodbye, you should call today. The buses are here! Love to you all. Here I go!

1 comment:

  1. i sat in on a meeting with the peace corps director and some other hot shots at work last week, and thought of you the whole time. glad i got to see you and that your travels are going well so far. love you!
    -nour

    ReplyDelete